Why reading and writing is the road to happiness...


This blog started years ago as a place to muse on the life projects keeping me entertained. It is no surprise then that it has morphed into a blog about my reading as that has been my lifelong project. Here I review lots of different types of books, with an added focus on Australian women writers. Hope you enjoy - feel free to contribute to the conversation!

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Timber Town - Renovations

I can't see my backyard for all the timber that has arrived. It looks like a mini construction site and I have chippies everywhere, climbing ladders, sawing, hammering and intermittently peeking over the fence at the twenty something year old girls who live next door, who have been inexplicably sunbaking around their pool in May. Hhmmm.
We have completely taken down the old metal balcony, and scored some hardwood posts cut down from a friend's farm in Coffs Harbour which we are using for a new verandah. We'll deck straight out from the new glass doors, and will roof the verandah like decking with in laid lighting a la the latest trend.
The patch of concrete that we found in one corner of the garden will become an outdoor room, and the boys have created built in seating for us to retire to for afternoon Pims cocktails and canapes on lazy Summer days... well that's the plan anyway.
What I've learnt so far about carpentry - there is too much maths involved for my liking, but you do get a nice tan. And you get to do what you enjoy while listening to Triple J. Not a bad way to make a living.
Here are the before and afters:

And gardening update: look how healthy this broccoli is looking!



No comments:

Post a Comment